2.01.2011

Happy Birthday Whitney!

Nick's sister, Whitney, had a birthday over the weekend.  Nick and I decided to make her a birthday cake. 


We decided, with the input of Whitney, to make a Red Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting.  













The phases of cake batter, as well as the frosting.  It was a fairly easy recipe adapted from Bon Appetit Desserts cookbook.  The recipe can also be found HERE at the Bon Appetit Web site.  We used strawberries instead of raspberries and only put them on top and not in the inside layer.











I need to explain this picture.  We have white counter tops that stain easily; therefore, Nick was not allowed to mix the batter together because of the red food coloring.  As mentioned in an earlier post, he is a rather messy cook and I feared for my counter tops.










The first layer of icing was critical.  I wanted to make sure I didn't have cake flakes all over the top layer. 









Nick finished the final layer without me; he did such a good job.  Check out his design for the fruit!


















Happy B-day Whit!










We got Whitney a new cookbook for her birthday and used it to make her cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...