1.16.2011

Vegetarian Week # 2

Week two was a bit more difficult than week one.  For starters, I started to crave meat.  I wanted a hamburger from Burger King so badly....it was ridiculous.  I pushed through though and managed to tackle week two without a slip up.

This week we made Caribbean Succotash (Bon Appetit, Jan. 2011- magazine only) and stuffed peppers.


 Caribbean Succotash






 


The Caribbean Succotash was pretty good.  Sadly it was our first vegetarian meal that tasted like it was missing something. I tried to add flavor with extra crushed red pepper, but it didn't do the trick.  We made the succotash and plated it over white rice.  If you would like the recipe just let me know, sadly it is not available online so I can't link it.


Stuffed Peppers
















These stuffed peppers were amazing!!  I didn't use a recipe the way I usually do.  Instead, I just made it up while I was at the grocery store.  They were so easy though and didn't take very long either.
I used:

4 large peppers
1 box of Spanish rice
1 can of black beans
1 can stewed tomatoes with jalapenoes
1/2 an onion, chopped
1 cup of shredded cheese

Cook the rice according to the box.  Once the rice is cooked drain the black beans and stewed tomatoes and add to the rice along with the onion to heat through.  In the meantime, bring a pot of salted water to boil and blanch the peppers (I left them in for about 5 minutes to cut down on cooking time).  After the peppers are blanched, stuff them with the rice mixture and divide cheese on top of the peppers and bake at 350 for about 20-25 minutes.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...