1.22.2011

On our nightstands: #3

Oh my, it took me a long time to finish Eat, Pray, Love.  I have been reading it for a few weeks now and, honestly, the last 50 pages are what has taken me so long.  I tend to get wrapped up in some project or another and get consumed.  I was not consumed with Eat, Pray, Love anymore. I am finally done reading it though.  

I have to say, I'm not sure what I think about it.  There were parts that I found very inspiring.  Things about finding yourself and evolving into the person you want to be and overcoming sadness, really spoke to me.  Other things just didn't sit well with me.  I like reading books that I can relate to, and there were several things that I just couldn't relate to.  

I understand the appeal to this novel though.  It is romantic.  A story of a woman striking out on her own to discover herself, find new love, find God and learn to live with herself.  It is a story of the modern woman.  Gosh darn it, I always thought I was a modern woman, until I said that.  I am independent, but I can't stomach the idea of getting a divorce from my lovely husband to strike out on my own.  I'd much rather discover myself, find new love (I count this for friends and babies- not now of course), find God and learn to live with myself all with my husband!!

Next on the list of books to read is Her Fearful Symmetry by Audry Niffenegger, who also wrote The Time Traveler's Wife (which I absolutely loved!).  I started reading it today and like it a lot so far.  I'll keep you posted on how it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...