8.08.2011

On Our Nightstands: #5

Over the past few weeks, I have been reading like crazy.  I gave up on The Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin.  I read things online about the T.V. show that ruined the book for me.  My own fault of course, but still very hard to read when I know what is happening.  Nick, however, has moved on to the second book in the series Clash of Kings.





Meanwhile, I have finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett and My Name is Memory by Ann Brashares.  Both books were very good, but The Help was the better of the two.  I think it is a book everyone should read.  It captures the racial tension of the 1960s in Mississippi through the eyes of a young white girl and several African American maids.  





My Name is Memory is a love story that lasts across the ages.  It focuses on a couple and the lives they lead through different time periods.  The man in the book remembers his previous lives, but his love does not.  During each life, he tries to get her to fall in love with him all over again.  While the story pulled at my heart strings, it repeated itself a lot.  The characters had the same internal struggle each chapter.



So, what have you been reading lately?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...